Students can Download Samacheer Kalvi 12th English Vocabulary Analogy, Notes, Samacheer Kalvi 12th English Book Solutions Guide Pdf helps you to revise the complete Tamilnadu State Board New Syllabus and score more marks in your examinations.
Tamilnadu Samacheer Kalvi 12th English Vocabulary Analogy
What is Analogy?
The main purpose of analogy in the language is to bifurcate two elements, which may be based on concepts, relationships, phenomenon, etc. The bifurcation is created with an intention to compare the two things so that the reader can relate to something that reflects their similarity. In other words, analogy aids the reader, to perhaps, have a visual understanding of the logic of what you are trying to exhibit.
16 kinds of relationships that analogies may express:
- Antonyms – up: down
- Synonyms – great : wonderful
- Part : whole – trunk : tree
- whole :part – school : classroom
- tool : its action – crayon : draw
- tool user: tool – carpenter: hammer
- tool: object it’s used with – hammer: nails
- category : example – dog : Golden Retriever
- effect : cause – flood : rain
- cause: effect – practice: improve
- increasing intensity – unhappiness ; misery
- decreasing intensity – hot : warm
- action : thing acted upon – read : book
- action: subject performing action – teach : teacher
- object or place: its user – chalk: teacher
- noun: closely related adjective – elephant: enormous
Here are some important things to remember when you think about analogies: Parts of Speech If the words in the first pair express a “noun : adjective,” or “verb : noun,” or adjective : adjective” relationship (for instance), the second pair should show the same relationship between parts of speech. Word Order If the first pair expresses a “tool user : tool” relationship (for instance), the second pair must express the same relationship in the same order. Exactness Sometimes two or more of the given choices would make fairly good sense in the blank. When this happens, you should choose the word or pair of words, which most exactly suits the relationship you are expressing.
Examples of famous analogies
- The captain is to his ship as the leader is to his tribe.
- A fish is to swimming as a bird is to flying.
- What death is to life, blindness is to vision.
- What sweets are to a diabetic, water is to fire.
- What gold is to a goldsmith, iron is to a blacksmith.
- What cold is to ice, heat is to fire.
- What dog is to a kennel, a rabbit is to a burrow.
- What child is to a mother, a song is to a singer.
- What voice is to a person, communication is to a language.
- What wheels are to a cart, a family is to a man.
- A hot cup of coffee is to winter as a cold glass of water is to summer.
- A rudder is to a ship as a goal is to a person.
- Painting is to a painter as water is to a plant.
- What strings are to a guitar, love is to life.
- What wick is to a candle, knowledge is to life.